Monday 15 April 2013

Center City ~ Possibly a first quilty finish of the year!

I'm attempting to play catch-up this afternoon. It's been a bit of a stressful time for me lately. No real external reasons, I've just managed to get myself into a bit of a flump and am struggling to find the right balance between the things that need to be done and the things I want to do. I am very slowly getting there though. Lots of fun activities to keep me going this week. Knitting lots of fun commissions, and attempting some plush toys for the first time in a few years. I'm also practising my free-motion quilting! And it's going ok!!! I have ordered some tools which I believe will make it even better and I cannot wait for them to arrive. More about that shortly though, it's time for a quilt announcement :)


CENTER CITY!

I figured it was about time to write about this quilt. I cut the squares and pieced the quilt top just before Christmas last year. I had originally planned on making a wonky plus quilt (and you can see two pluses have made it into this quilt), but I found lining up the plusses a bit too stressful, so (mostly) squares it is. Squares are all from Jay McCarroll's Center City line plus a few co-ordinating solids. Each finished square measures 6" and the whole quilt is approx 54" by 60".

 

I quilted it myself with a combination of straight line machine quilting and hand quilting. It has both dense and more sparsely quilted areas so the textures are quite visually appealing. Quilting shows up especially well on the solid aubergine back. Binding is a black solid.


I have already sent this quilt to Siblings Together where it has been safely received and will hopefully be finding itself a forever home later in the year. I'l be finishing up another quilt for Siblings Together in the next month or so. My do. Good Stitches Care Circle Quilt. The backing fabric has arrived today so I'm just waiting on a few more blocks and then I can get quilting. Possibly using my new free-motion skills?

I hope to start blogging a bit more regularly once I get the new schedule worked out. Bear with me :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love this quilt - it's gorgeous! I love your mix of quilting too and the wonky pluses! I'm sure it will be loved!

    ReplyDelete